Thursday, May 26, 2022

Step One: Buy Quail... Step Two: ???...Step Three: PROFIT!

 


I've always wanted to own a farm, but unfortunately, I haven't sold enough books to afford one. Luckily, the opportunity to raise farm animals in my two bedroom condo arose three weeks ago when I decided to add four baby coturnix quail chicks to my indoor menagerie. 

I've always been a bird person. I got my first bird, Charlie the cockatiel when I was 12, and ever since then, I knew I had to always have birds in my life. I adopted my Amazon parrot, Taco, 10 years ago. After Taco, came a rescued deformed parakeet named Chimi, and then got her a friend, Benny. When Benny died unexpectedly last year, I got another friend for her named Chino.

I wanted to try my hand at raising some sort of poultry. After a lot of research, I decided quail were a good fit for my lifestyle. They are small, quiet, and can easily be raised indoors. Thus, my four baby quail were added to the mix. I've got to say, they are fascinating and absolutely adorable. Their rate of growth has astounded me, as they have more than doubled in size since I got them three weeks ago. I hope to be able to get eggs from them to sell, eat, and hatch in the future.

Having animals has always been really important to me. I've kept everything from rodents and reptiles, to insects and arachnids. You might say I am a handful of pets away from being an animal hoarder, but not in a destructive way. They are all well cared for and spoiled. I love exotics and always do my research before adding anything to my collection. Right now, I have 2 snakes, a turtle, a tarantula, and 7 birds. We also have three fish tanks, which belong to my partner, Jose.

Do you have pets? I'd love to see them! 

Stay weird, folks.






No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs