Monday, May 30, 2022

Memorial Day

 Hello everyone - it's me, Kayleigh. Today's post feels much different to all my previous ones, because it's Memorial Day. I usually keep my topics light (and try to make them fun), but I feel a weight of responsibility this time around, because more than anything, I want to be respectful.

I'm a British person who lives in the UK, so writing about Memorial Day makes me feel like an imposter. I'm not particularly political, and my grasp on American history is flimsy, at best. However, I do know that Memorial Day marks and pays respect to significant loss, and respect is owed to those who sacrificed everything in the name of fighting for what they believed in. I'm not an authority on this day, and don't want to pretend to be one. I can't relate to being in the military, nor to being an American citizen on a day such as this. But what I can relate to is loss.

Like everyone, I have lost people that were precious to me. There's one day per year - the anniversary of a dear friend's death - that affects me more than any other day. It's somber, and sad, and somehow I still find myself smiling at his memory. It's a day of conflicting emotions - renewed grief, humor, anger, pride, but most of all love, however painful it can be.

Thinking about the profound effect that particular day has on me almost blew my mind when I extended that feeling to an entire country of people, all sharing similar feelings on a national scale. In the UK, we do have such an occasion - Remembrance Day - which is celebrated in November. However, it seems different somehow. I am also not an authority on this - I could be completely wrong - but my personal experience of this is that it's still very much respected by older generations, and somewhat of a mystery to the younger generations. Even when I was still school-age (many... MANY years ago now), I remember the 1 minute of silence that was held at 11am every November 11th, and I remember seeing a lot of people wearing poppies as a mark of respect. I used to wear them. But I never actually knew why - in my school at least, we weren't educated on it. The most we were told was that it was to remember those who fought in "the war", but they never even explained which war. Memorial Day, to me at least, by contrast seems like an overwhelmingly significant occasion. 

My American friends - I don't claim to be well-versed in your political histories and struggles, the wars your people fought in, or the casualties suffered. But what I do want to express is that to each and every one of you that finds Memorial Day difficult, my heart is with you. It takes tremendous courage to sacrifice everything for what you believe is right, and I want to acknowledge that that also applies to the families of those who fight, for they are the ones who must carry the burden of loss afterwards.

Love and respect to all. <3 


No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs