Friday, July 8, 2022

Updates, News, and New Releases!

www.karissalaurel.com
 I'm a  day late with my blog post and I apologize. I'm fine at my day job, and not too bad at executive tasks at home (like cooking, cleaning, paying bills, shopping, etc.), and hobbies that don't require a lot of problem solving are okay too. But writing is another problem that requires a level of focus, energy, and thought that escapes me many days. It's kind of hard to prioritize solving fictional problems when I'd rather devote my energy to real life ones. Y'all, I've written SO MANY letters and emails to politicians in the last few months. Maybe I should just post the contents of one of those missives here... Just kidding. I'll keep my existential dread to myself, for now.

However, it's not quite as dry in my author garden as that previous ramble would indicate. I'm still working on my Vella project, Serendipity at the End of the World. I've passed the halfway mark, and I'm rolling quickly towards the conclusion. Episode 49 is off to the proofreader and Episode 50 is with my beta reader now. I anticipate another 20 episodes are left between now and the end of this epic adventure.
Serendipity Blite and her sister, Bloom, use their unique talents to survive the apocalyptic aftermath of the Dead Disease. When Bloom is kidnapped, Sera is determined to get her back. Attempting a rescue mission in an undead-infested city would be suicidal, so Sera forms a specialized team to help retrieve her sister. But unfortunate accident sets Sera teetering on the edge of death. She must fight to save her own life, because surviving could mean finding family, love, and possibly a cure.

Considering that we (my publisher and I) have released one episode a week, then 50 episodes means we've been at this for almost a year. I don't know if, financially, it'll be worth it or not (I mean, not to kink shame or book shame, but the title of the fourth most popular title on Vella right now is "Sold as the Alpha King's Breeder", whose readership is probably is not my target audience?) . But, personally, it feels good to have an ongoing project that forces me to come to the writing table every week, even when there are a lot of days I'd like to stay in my little author cave and never come out again.  In related news, my publisher, Red Adept Publishing, has decided to turn completed Vella stories into novels, for those who like to consume their stories in a more traditional manner, and a couple of fellow Red Adept  authors who were the first to complete their Vella stories have recently released their novel-versions.

I'm looking forward to giving Serendipity the novel treatment in the months to come. Particularly since I know Vella isn't available to readers outside the U.S. There are SO MANY English-language readers out side of the U.S., so this limited availability makes little sense to me, but what do I know about such things? If I had an answer, I guess I'd have a job at Amazon. But... no thanks.

Additionally, this week I get to celebrate the release of my short story, "Mystery Aboard the Old Faithful," in the latest volume of Brave New Girls (Brave New Girls: Chronicles of Misses and Machines)



"S" is for Steampunk. In my story "Mystery Aboard the Old Faithful." Best friends Olivia and Johanna use their STEM skills to find a thief and recover the stolen, newfangled technology that powers their high-tech paddle-ship on the Mississippi river.

For young and old, girls AND boys, this anthology includes 22 young adult sci-fi short stories about girls in STEM who use their smarts to save the day. Steampunk young ladies who tinker with automatons, cyberpunk girls who hack virtual reality, space heroines who engineer starships, and more. 

Proceeds from sales will be donated to the Society of Women Engineers scholarship fund.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs