Monday, July 25, 2022

My Favourite BookTubers

 Hey everyone, and happy July! Is it sunny where you are? Because once again, the summers we "enjoy" in the UK are not always the most... summer-y. I thought I'd bring something a little different to this month's post - it's another "my favourites" list, but it is of a slightly different variety.

If there's one thing I love almost as much as reading books, it's talking about books. Unfortunately, very few of my friends read for fun, and the ones that do don't tend to read what I read. So I have no one to talk to about books, basically. And this is how I discovered BookTube - a delightful area of YouTube where people talk about books. Now, I'm not delusional, I realise these people can't see me through their videos, and don't hear me when I talk back. Er... not that I talk back.

Anyway.

It's just nice to listen to people sometimes, whether they're expressing the same opinions as me about something I love or hate, or providing a different perspective. So here are some of my favourite BookTubers and channels, in no particular order:

Jaime En Fuego from The Horror Channel


I was on a Stephen King binge when I discovered Fuego's personal playlist on The Horror Channel, entitled Hail to Stephen King. How delighted I was to discover a dude who started making these videos after finishing a reading mission - every Stephen King book published. That is a lot of books, man. For someone who mostly discusses one author (he also includes other members of the King family in his videos), he offers a lot of variety in his content; straight-up book reviews, worst to best lists, tier rankings, Stephen King news, screen adaptation discussions, the list goes on. Plus, I dare anyone to try to dislike this guy, even a little bit. He's just such a lovely person to watch and listen to, and he's assembled a community of like-minded people who feel much more like friends and family than random people on the Internet. He even has a Hail to Stephen King group on Facebook, which is a lovely place to hang out and chat.

Mike's Book Reviews


Mike is another BookTuber I discovered whilst looking for Stephen King reviews, but he covers much more. I'd say his specialty genres are fantasy, sci-fi, and horror. Once again, a lovely, sincere person who offers interesting and honest insights - so interesting actually that I watch his content even if I haven't read the work in question. He's the reason I started reading fantasy and sci-fi (I was basically exclusively reading horror before) because he sold me on so many great books. I really should thank him for prompting me to read The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

paperbackdreams


Man, is Kat funny. She basically reads everything and I don't know how she gets through so many books. There's nothing technical about her channel - she doesn't have an intro or an outro, there are no graphics, no effects, no music. There's hardly any editing, even. She just sits there enthusing/ranting about what she's read, and it's the most entertaining thing ever. As it happens, I have completely opposite books tastes to her, which has worked out really well for me because whenever she absolutely hates something, I immediately buy it, and love it. It's a system that hasn't failed me yet!

Maven of the Eventide


If you want vampires, this is where you go for vampires. This woman is a bonified vampire expert, I tell you! Her set is all cool and gothic and she has stacks of books, and a campy online persona that reminds me of Bela Lugosi and Anne Rice, and I just love her.

If you know of a BookTuber I might like, please let me know! There's always room for more!

PS. Special shout out to Red Letter Media, who don't review books but I can't talk about YouTube without bringing them up. I mean, Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars reviews alone...








No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs