Monday, June 7, 2021

Read Wide (Interview with Sean Seebach, Author of THE BUCK STOPS HERE)

amazon.com/author/kozeniewski

Another quality post brought to you by Steve!

Hey, everybody!  It's my turn to do an interview, and I have got a doozy for you today with a real up-and-comer in the horror field.  Let's meet our guest, then dive right in!

About Sean Seebach:

Raised in the Buckeye state in a town of no more than 200 people, Sean Seebach began writing at the age of 33. He's published two novellas, one novel, and a collection of short stories. His work has appeared in the anthology DIG TWO GRAVES VOLUME I from Death's Head Press.

When he isn't writing or working a day job, he enjoys reading, cooking, and listening to an eclectic variety of music.

He currently lives in Ohio with his wife, daughter, son, and their little terror terrier, Bowie.

You can find him on TwitterInstagram, and his website.

Interview

SK:  Tell us about your published work?  What's great?  What's crap?

SS:  It’s great to be here, Stephen. Thank you for having me.

I write to get a better understanding of the world and the human condition. My stories are in the vein of the "Twilight Zone" and "Tales From The Crypt." The early stuff, stories I had submitted to Thought Catalog, have a very “Willy’s Wonderland” feel to them. Some heart, not much, but full of campy and over the top themes. The enthusiasm from readers gave me the confidence (or delusion) to keep working at this writing thing.

TC also published my first book, a novella called OUR MONSTERS ARE REAL: THE PIG MAN. Intended to be a series, PIG MAN is a mash up of dark fantasy and horror. It has a magic harmonica, dual antagonists, and good ol’ midwestern teenagers trying to navigate puberty and bad home life. Out of everything I’ve written, it comes the closest to coming-of-age.

AUTUMN DARK came next. I pitch it as a poor person’s SALEM'S LOT minus the vampire. A big city detective returns to his small town to find his missing sister during the arrival of a peculiar new preacher.

A LOOKING IN VIEW is a collection of short stories, some of which were previously published on Thought Catalog. I wrote new stories to complete the book, and really challenged myself to go deeper into themes of down-on-their-luck characters who get their just deserts.

Fast forward to 2019 and I got my second acceptance after five years of writing. Death’s Head Press was kind enough to purchase “Murdock’s Magnificent Emporium” for their anthology DIG TWO GRAVES VOLUME I. It’s a splatter western set in a dystopian world. I was hot off the heels from reading the DARK TOWER Series and Roland was still fresh in my mind. I wrote about a Roland-esque character who sets out to find the monster that killed his family.

THE BUCK STOPS HERE is my latest, and features a were-deer terrorizing a quiet town. The OCD sheriff is forced to blow the dust off her badge after a local is murdered and find the killer. Think of yourself channel surfing on a rainy Saturday afternoon while eating cold pizza and you come across this ridiculous movie on the Syfy channel. That’s the mood of THE BUCK, and I think out of all my work, people have had the most fun with that one. The book also gave me the chance to tip my hat to Owl Goingback’s seminal novel CROTA.

All proceeds from THE BUCK benefit the World Wildlife Fund. However, for those thinking of purchasing it, the typesetting in the physical copy is small, so you may want to opt for the digital version.

(While we’re on the subject of creature features, check out Stephanie Rabig’s PLAYING POSSUM, James Sabata’s THE CASSOWARY, and THE ROO by Alan Baxter. They’re all in the same vein, and Elderlemon Design was kind enough to create the covers for free.)

Ultimately, my progression as a writer is shown chronologically through my publications. So, to me, the early stuff isn’t as good as "Murdock’s" or THE BUCK, but that’s up for readers to eventually decide.

SK:  How did your pandemic year go?

SS:  Despite contracting COVID in late November, pretty well. My family and I learned that we could isolate outside of our jobs and still love each other. It brought us closer together, for sure. I got my sense of taste and smell back a month ago, a small inconvenience considering the tragic outcomes across the world. Political feelings aside, I gained a new perspective on what community means, and feel a greater sense of empathy and compassion toward others. There’s a silver lining in almost everything if we search hard enough.

SK:  What have you always dreamed of writing?  Do you think it will ever happen?

SS:  I’ve always wanted to collaborate with another author on a project. You remember that serial you did called "Silverwood: The Door?" I bet that was a blast. To get that back and forth with another creative(s), get a feel for someone else’s creative process first hand would be a great experience, I think. You oughta know, you’re the king of collabo. That said, would anyone want to write a book or story with me? Maybe, maybe not.

SK:  How did your #pitmad go last week?

SS:  Ha! Two of my scheduled tweets didn’t even send, but I got support from the community, including you, Gabino Iglesias, and The Sisters of Slaughter (huge thank you to all!) from the one that tweet that did go out. I searched the hashtag before I left for work, and it was great seeing all those writers out there trying to get an agent to represent their manuscript. A beautiful thing.

SK:  What else do you want the fans and readers to know that we didn't get to cover in this interview? 

SS:  Read books by diverse authors and read them to your kids. Read what you like. Read wide. I’ve learned just as much if not more from reading books outside the horror genre. I’m not talking exclusively about craft either. There’s much to be gained from learning about other cultures, heritages, and perspectives.

About THE BUCK STOPS HERE:

Abigail Laine is comfortable being the sheriff of Rockbridge, Ohio. She only conducts a few traffic stops a week, has minimal paperwork, and cruises the town's mostly vacant streets. This leaves her plenty of time to read and keep her living space and work area orderly. But when Caleb Welsh gets murdered on his way home late one Friday night, she's forced to blow the dust off her badge and find the killer.

With the help of Rockbridge's finest civilians, Laine must draw a line in the salt lick and assure that THE BUCK STOPS HERE.

All proceeds benefit the World Wildlife Fund.

No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs