Thursday, March 31, 2016

Packing for Camp NaNoWriMo

Hey guys! On Friday, I'm heading to camp! Camp NaNoWriMo that is. I haven't done a WriMo in years because I haven't had a new project coincide with the event. But this year, I do. So now I'm rushing to pack for camp.

For those unfamiliar with the global event, November is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, when writers pledge to write 50K words in a month. It's a community event. Writers often write in solitude, but during November, we are all in this together either online or at regional write-ins. Camp NaNoWriMo is different. This happens in April and July and is a kitchy, low-key event where writers set their own goals for the month. Maybe all you need to write is 40K words or 35K. It's fine and all part of the fun. You join a cabin and chat with fellow bunk mates. 

I've set a 50K-word goal. Years ago, 50K words seemed insane and I've never won NaNo. Not once. But as I flex my writing muscle more and more, the word count seems less daunting. With a solid outline, an hour or two to myself, and a total disconnect from the internet, 1,667 words a day seems like a very doable task.

Here's the kicker, though. I'm not done with my outline and I have two days, including today, to finish it. I'm writing Book 2 in my mystery trilogy, so an outline for two POVs is a must. If I don't get it done, I won't be a successful camper. And my parents paid a lot of money for me to attend this camp, so I better make good use of my time. JK. Camp is free!

Are you participating in Camp NaNoWriMo this year? If so, best of luck! Meanwhile, I've got to run and pack an outline.

3 comments:

Shay(The Story Goes...) said...

This is so me! I am still only barely prepared and camp started today! I do camp all the time and regular NaNo but I'm used to being done outlining and everything at least a week before it starts. I've been so off this year!

Anyway, good luck with camp! Remember to watch for bears, I think a lot of campers forget about the bears but they're real and they will eat at your word count. =)

Carrie Beckort said...

I've not done any of the NaNoWriMo events. I should check one out though. Good luck on your goals!

Brenda St John Brown said...

Good luck! I'm terrible at NaNo type of events. I'm not sure why, since outside of the structure I can crank out the word count (with enough motivation -- and snacks). Speaking of snacks -- I hope you've got stuff for making S'mores. Crucial part of the camp experience!

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs