Monday, March 7, 2016

This author's life, as told through pictures

A post by Mary Fan
Instagram is a fun, fascinating place, and I totally suck at it. But I like pretty pictures as much as the next gal, and I mostly post glamor shots of books (which I spend far too much time posing when I'm bored) or random pictures of things that catch my fancy. Much like Facebook photos, except with more hashtags and artsy filters.

So when YA blogger extraordinaire Dahlia Adler (of the Daily Dahlia), tweeted that an Instagram challenge that she'd come up with just for fun, I couldn't resist. The challenge was to post a picture a day for the month of February, according to the calendar below (with #AuthorLifeMonth), and it soon became huge on Book Twitter. And it was a cool glimpse into the lives of authors from all over. What I learned: authors are a funky bunch... and loads of fun!





And Day 29, that extra Leap Day, was a freebie, which meant "Post whatever you want." I had loads of fun snapping and sharing these pics! So now, without further ado... here are my #AuthorLifeMonth pics :-)



A photo posted by Mary Fan (@astralcolt) on







#authorlifemonth Day 9: Challenge overcome I get terrible stage fright. TERRIBLE. As in... The sees black spots, face goes cold, actually-think-I'm-gonna-pass-out kind. I'm also terrified of letting other people read Words I Wrote. The first time I posted a chapter of Artificial Absolutes in an online writers forum and someone commented, I had an anxiety attack (even though the comment was good!). Top that off with the fact that I hate any form of public speaking, and the idea that someday, I'd get up in front of a bunch of strangers and read from that Thing I Wrote seemed laughably bizarre a few years ago. But I did it!!! I'm still terrified of public speaking, but I do it anyway... I find that if I fake enough confidence, sooner or later, I start to believe it 😊 #writersofinstagram #writersofig
A photo posted by Mary Fan (@astralcolt) on



















8 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing... love the insight into Mary, the author :D

Mary Fan said...

My pleasure! πŸ˜ƒ

Brenda St John Brown said...

Super cool! Thanks for sharing.

Brenda St John Brown said...

Have you read Rainbow Rowell's new short, Kindred Spirits, yet? It's really short -- not quite a novella. Your Star Wars stuff reminded me of it. :)

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

Loved your Instagram campaign over the month. My favorite is that giant Hermoine.

Mary Fan said...

I haven't! Will add it to the list :-)

Mary Fan said...

Thanks! I bartered a copy of Artificial Absolutes at a con for that Hermione :-)

Carrie Beckort said...

Very cool, Mary! Looks like it was a lot of fun to participate - and a fun way for us to learn more about you!

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs