Monday, February 20, 2023

Book Review: The Benefits of Being An Octopus

 "The Benefits of Being An Octopus" by Ann Braden 

"That's one of the things about the people on that beautiful tropical island: they can't see who's floating about in the ocean around them. Or maybe they can and they just choose not to look. I don't know.

I've never been there".

Seventh grader Zoey Albro needs more hands, like the great octopus she so greatly admires. Going to school, helping her mom, and taking care of her three younger siblings is a lot of work for a girl her age. There's so much she'd love to do for herself, like her homework, but there's no time to stop or to slow down. As Zoey explains,  "Some people can do their homework. Some people get to have crushes on boys. Some people have other things they've got to do". But with the unexpected help of a persistent and caring teacher, Zoey learns how to find her voice and to make choices that will change not only her life but the lives of those she cares for most around her as well.

This was a nice change up from what I've been reading recently. It's a middle grade book and the title is what caught my eye. I felt a true tug on my heart strings as I read this and I understand why so many people are raving about this in my book groups for kids. This read tackles serious issues such as bullying, domestic abuse, and gun laws. I really enjoyed the writing of the novel. I found myself laughing at some points and almost crying at others. This is an excellent read for people of all ages and walks of life and I'm so glad I took the time to read it. Solid 5 🌟 

"Sometimes if you don't have a jacket and you're sitting next to someone who does, you feel colder. But sometimes, if the right person is wearing it, you feel warmer".

"I think that sometimes you need to have your back up against the wall to find out what you're made of...".

No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs