Thursday, August 19, 2021

Cats are a Writer's Best Friend

 

Most writers I know of either have cats, love cats, or are basically cats themselves. So, what is it with writers (and readers) and cats? 

Firstly, cats are just awesome animals. They are quiet, independent, and generally just great companions. They love nothing more than to lounge around the house or on your lap. Their soothing purrs are cathartic after a long day. Nothing gives you more pride than earning the affections of a cat. They get a reputation for being aloof or unfriendly, and as a lifelong cat owner myself, I find this to be untrue. Most cats will bond with you just like a dog, and although they tend to not be as rambunctious or demanding as a dog, they still have their own personalities and quirks that make us smile.






I've always said that dogs are extroverted while cats are introverted. Most writers tend to be introverts, and it makes sense that they tend to be cat people. Not to say that they aren't dog lovers as well. Dogs are great, but lets face it, they are a lot more demanding. You need to let them out, walk them, and help them expend their energy. They are pack animals, and you are their pack. They generally need more attention from us than a cat would. A cat is independent by nature, but they are still social when they want to be. Cats can keep to themselves for most of the day, but still enjoy being in the room with you while you work. Your presence in it's area is usually enough. There are demanding cats, but usually not to the level dogs are. Most of them are content to just lay on your lap. Sometimes they want to walk across your keyboard and "help" you write your story, but it's more endearing than it is annoying.

Readers like cats as companions while they sit with their book in hand. I think that's why a lot of bookstore owners keep cats in the store. They keep you company without distracting you...most of the time anyway.

All the greatest writers had cats. Hemmingway was known for keeping polydactyls, cats with extra toes. In fact, polydactyl cats are sometimes called Hemmingway cats for this reason. Edgar Allan Poe had multiple cats. It's even suspected that his mysterious death could have been caused by a rabid cat bite. Mark Twain was also a cat lover. He has a lot of quotes about them. One of the most famous was:

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction."

Now me? I have a cat, but she doesn't live with me. She lives across the street with my parents, but I still consider her mine. I grew up with cats all my life, but I couldn't take her with me when I moved. I visit her often, and she stays with me when my folks are on vacation. I have multiple other animals that live with me, including a really loud and needy parrot, who definitely does not make it easy to focus on writing. I could say he is a lot like a dog in that regard.

I think the subtle dignity and intelligence of a cat just speaks to creative types. We often are introverted, have our own small circle of friends, and prefer the company of ourselves most of the time. A cat will not leave you lonely, nor will it be burdensome. A cat is just "there", and that's enough for some people. It's a friend that you don't need to say much to, that doesn't ask for a lot, and simply enjoys your company in silence.

Plus, they are just adorable.

Do you have cats? Tell me about them, and stay weird!

No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs