Monday, March 12, 2018

In like a lion....out like a lion.

Hey guys!

My literal neck-of-the-woods got slammed with, not one, but two Nor'easters. That's right. Two. Quinn dumped two feet of snow on us, taking down power lines and trees with it. We were without power for five days (some of my friends lost power for 8 and 9 days!) And anyone who has well and septic understands--no power means no flushing toilets, no running water, no showers. And just as particularly gruesome, no heat.

We had counted on our generator to power our home only to find it wouldn't start. Since we couldn't get out to Lowes, we had to huddle under blankets and use our fireplace for warmth and melt snow to flush our toilets. Lesson to all: do routine maintenance on your generators in October. The network also went down so we had no internet, and phone service. [It was rough. Obviously not Puerto Rico-still-without-power- many-months-later rough, which is lost on the many Trump voters in my area, but I digress...] Storm #2, Riley, dumped a foot of snow on top of the two feet we had, so now we have three feet of snow on our lawn. I won't see my grass until May.
Early in the morning when I went to walk the dog.

This is my husband getting a smidge down the driveway before our snowblower broke. Oh yeah. That happened. Luckily, my neighbor cleared us out.

My backyard.

My children have been off from school for a week. They got an additional two days tacked onto the end of the year and are losing what little Easter vacation that is scheduled. It's fine. We live in the Northeast. This is how we do winter. I say that so nonchalantly as if I hadn't been Googling warm-weather liberal states to move to all week long. Truthfully, in a few months, these cold temps will be a distant memory.

Oh, hey, and it's Daylight Saving Time. That's always fun when you have kids. Their sleep schedule is all off and they're cranky as hell. Man, nature is reaping us all sorts of rewards. Isn't it?

What's the weather like where you are? 




5 comments:

Mary Fan said...

Whoa!! That's quite some snow! We only got slush over in Jersey City. But sooo many puddles...

Carrie Beckort said...

Yikes! Not a great way to start of spring. It's cold here in Indiana, and this morning there was snow falling, but it turned out to be nothing. Hope you dig out soon!

Brenda St John Brown said...

Whoa! That is some snow. My mom lives in upstate NY and she's pretty over the whole winter thing, too. It's sunny at the minute in the UK, but I'm sure it will rain soon enough.

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

Guys! We got 6 inches yesterday so we used another snow day. My kids will be in school until July, which works for me but sucks for them.

Cheryl Oreglia said...

The snow is so beautiful especially for someone like me who rarely sees the white fluffy stuff unless I take a four hour drive. It has been raining for the last few days but we need it here in California. Mostly sunny, temps high sixties, and clear skies - that's our winter.

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs