Thursday, December 7, 2017

May the new year be....well, anything's better than this

Last year around this time, I was all ready to say good-freaking-bye to 2016. Man, was that a tough year. Okay, maybe the last two months sucked big time. Other than that, I was feeling good. I had a book published in March and I was just finishing up the last edits on a YA novel I was particularly pleased about -- a mystery I planned to query, and hopefully sell. I saw hope, professionally if not globally.
Fast forward a year and I am in no better a place. Someone tweeted (and I'm paraphrasing) that if were you able to write anything in 2017, you did good. Well, it was tough. My writing, creative energy, and motivation were spent on political news and developments. Writing scathing letters-to-the-editor of our local paper, trying to rally folks on Facebook (Ha! Like that's a thing you can do), trolling my politicians on Twitter (I guess it was kinda cathartic) and, not to mention, watching a lot of escapism on Netflix. It's amazing anything got done. Actually, little got done. I queried my beloved YA book, secured an agent, fired an agent, and the book is trunked. I'm still in the midst of finishing edits on a sequel to Dead and Breakfast that I've been working on for year! 

Life can be paralyzing. And because I'm not at the point where an editor is pressing on me to finish a project, my work ethic is what I make it -- weak and unfocused. But 2018 will be better. It has to be better. For one thing, I'm the only one pushing me. And I have a lot of great project ideas that I want to see bloom. Only I can do that.

Every January, the majority of Americans pledge to eat healthier, exercise, and spend less money. Well, I already do two out of those three things, so I'm promising to get my ass in gear. To work for the betterment of my mental health and to force change where I can -- with my art.

And to celebrate the new year, here's the cover art for my next mystery. Set to be published in early 2018.








4 comments:

Brenda St John Brown said...

Oh, I love that cover and the title! I'm such a sucker for a clever play on words! As for 2017 -- it was a a sucktastic year, wasn't it? But determination to make 2018 better is the first step to actual change. At least I'm hoping it is because that's MY first step. I'm also going to write a business plan for 2018 to hold myself accountable. Gulp.

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

A business plan is a tremendous idea. And thanks for the compliment. I am a sucker for a good title.

Unknown said...

I am so excited for GHOST AND FOUND! And friend, I hear you. It’s been a tough year to be creative or even hopeful. Here’s to 2018!

Cheryl Oreglia said...

Oh my goodness Kimberly we had twin years! I was so caught up in emotional upsets I too found it difficult to find the right words. Thanks for a post that many can relate to this year! Here's to a better 2018!

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs