Thursday, June 29, 2023

Google Search... I'd Rather Not


So for this post, I was supposed to do a Google Search topic but I don't really want to do that because to me that feels like work, and work, is the whole reason I haven't been able to keep up with these posts most of this year. Also, I'm a little tired of Google search and I'm going to make a one-minute case of why you should be too. 

As someone who's done SEO work and brought in over a million users on places like CultureSlate.com, I know about the magic of Google. I can tell you all about content strategy and how places used Google search to drive keyword traffic. Try to rank at the top of a search result for questions like 'Which place in Miami has the best Tapas' or 'Why do I feel so dead inside in 2023' because if you could rank in the top 10 answers within the search results, you could 'theoretically' bring in foot traffic with the hopes of capitalism click-to-orders of your books, products, or brand.

I can also tell you why Google has effectively become the backbone of the internet itself. How it is that every top (insert blah here) listicle is constructed, was since the days of Buzzfeed, a means of bringing in even more search traffic results. 

Having worked for companies whose entire business model was click-farms, all of this has little to do with presenting anything of actual value so much as it is really old marketing techniques from 10 years ago that's slowly going the way of Dinosaur status. Dead, gone, and repurposed for fuel. This is where we're sort of entering the world as of late and I firmly believe that people don't actually want the truth. Especially from a search. In fact, I'd go out of my way that I really do believe most just want things that confirm their own beliefs. And ergo proxy, their own biases.

It's strange when you think about it. How much has to do with the utilization of smartphone technology. That despite all bullshit promises, expertise, and authority, this really isn't what ranks for top results in a world where we generally don't care about specialization of knowledge. Nor labor. Double-so with the ongoing AI boom where most of the technology, media, and finance spaces, the premiums largest companies anyway such as your Microsofts and Googles, are heading in terms of direction.

I kind of miss us NOT knowing the answer from Google search results. Or better so, NOT knowing the answer WE WANT to confirm our own biases. These search results catered to the user's experience and click-rate probability matrix. Which is heavily connected to data-tracking software trends and queries. 

I stress this all because we're seeing more and more that AI? Often gets things wrong. The facts are not the facts it's just what you want to see. All according to a little probability.

I can't speak for the rest of you but I am hopelessly longing for a pre-search engine day a little. Before the internet answered all of your questions for you. Better yet, when the use of a library still felt like something real. 

There was a sense of wonder in a world where we didn't have all the answers at our fingertips. Biases and all. So. Yeah. I'm done with Google-Search questions. Because if you're in any way shape or form a minority in a subcategory? 

This robot doesn't give a shit about your authority on a subject. 

Nor will it. 

Again, AI is driven by traffic results. Not the truth (And having worked at multiple outlets whose only real 'authority' on a subject was in being an old website or getting traffic through the door, it's let's be clear, the same way someone like, say Joe Rogan gets traffic through a door, sure). 

The cherry on top? Studies have shown time and time again, AI is kinda sorta almost always, racist

So yeah. I'm not super into Google search anymore. 

No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs