Thursday, April 2, 2015

The chaos! or what passes for my days lately

Guys! Guys! I screwed up and I am uber late on this post. Do you know that I actually bought a planner to keep track of things like 'Write your blog post for ATB on April 2nd?' And by planner, I mean an old-school paper, spirally-bound notebook similar to what I had in college because my cell phone calendar is useless. I just need a system to remember stuff. So far, my system is failing. In the words of Sophia Petrillo, I digress...

So this past month, I've been hustling to finish my novella, the spin-off to Grunge Gods and Graveyards. It's called The Lady in Blue and it features a peripheral, but beloved character from GG&G. Anyway, this post isn't so much about the novella as the rush to get the novella done. I was originally planning on self-publishing The Lady in June until my publisher said she is putting GG&G on sale in early May (so if you haven't bought it, wait til then). With that in mind, I need the novella out early in order to pick up residual sales from GG&G (assuming readers like it enough to purchase the novella). I moved up my timeline a month. Eek! And the only writing I've self-published so far is a short story on Amazon. It's like not like I'm an old pro at this or anything.

In the past few weeks, I've:
  • finished revisions
  • bought a cover
  • sent my work to beta readers
  • interviewed editors
  • hired an editor
  • sent my manuscript to the editor via snail mail
  • hired a proofreader
  • downloaded and learned Vellum for formatting
  • wrote a blurb (thanks, Steve-o for help with this one)
  • participated in 2 YA promo events 
I still need to:
  • figure out keywords (this takes awhile)
  • familiarize myself with various platforms
  • do the edits!!
  • market
  • not freak out
So, I'm a bit crazed. My kids have been eating granola bars and Teddy Grahams for lunch because it's what they can get themselves as I've been trying to do all the writing things. Anyway, thanks for your understanding.

What have you all been up to?

-KGG

6 comments:

Jill said...

That's quite a list!

What's wrong with granola bars for lunch? ;) (My dinner on teaching nights was typically a granola bar, a banana, and cold coffee leftover from the morning. So I may not be one to speak re: culinary advice...)

Leandra Wallace said...

You've been like a one-woman driving force the past few months! =) And your done list is longer than your need to list, so that has to say something for granola bars and Teddy Graham, lol!

Brianna Lebrecht said...

WOW! It's dizzying to read all that! The life of a writer...

I'm participating in Camp NaNoWriMo to rewrite my first MS, which you've graciously read the old beginning of. I'm off to a great start, actually! And I'm reading more books about Paris...while listening to French alternative bands and learning French.

Unknown said...

aawww I've been having ridiculous health crap going on this past month, and was just going to send off a group email to you guys (which I'm still going to do!) this is dizzying and exhausting so I'm just going to say breathe and relax b/c you don't want to end up like me, trust me! lol

Carrie Beckort said...

Hang in there! One step at a time, and remember - the world will not end just because something doesn't get done exactly when you want it to :-)

Lisa said...

Great program something I could use, I've been working on the yard and on life one step at a time

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs