Thursday, October 14, 2021

10 Horror Novels to Read this Halloween

    I've always been a big fan of the horror genre, and with Halloween coming up, I thought it would be nice to share some of my favorite horror novels I've read in the past few years. They are in no particular order. I can't really pick a true favorite book as a rule, as I just love reading in general. Check these out if you're looking for some new books to celebrate the spooky season!


Dark Hollow - Brian Keene


    Kicking off the list, is a popular novel by Brian Keene that I read just this year. I've been friends with Brian for a long time, and it was only in the last year or two that I actually got around to reading his books. I love his style and his no holds barred approach to story-telling. 'Dark Hollow' was the first book I read that featured his popular character, Levi Stoltzfus. It's about a Satyr statue that comes to life and begins seducing the wives of all the men in town. It's one of the most unique horror concepts I've read, and I highly recommend it.

 

Christine - Stephen King

    What list of favorite horror novels won't include the King himself? I've been a lifelong fan of Stephen King, but I never read 'Christine' before recently. A slow build leads into an absolutely terrifying possession-style thrill ride. Christine herself becomes her own character despite the fact that she is a car, and you never really know for sure if she is alive or being used as a vessel for an evil spirit. 'Christine' has become one of my favorite King novels.


Dracula - Bram Stoker


    I put off reading 'Dracula' for many years before finally delving into it this year. Although it starts a little slow, it quickly hooks you with the build up of terror the main characters experience during their encounters with the Count and his minions. It is told through a series of journal entries, which can be a little confusing at times, but experiencing the different viewpoints of the main characters was what made this classic hit my list this year.

 

The Loch - Steve Alten

    I love cryptids and extinct animals, so naturally when I picked up this book I was hooked just by the title alone. I've actually read it twice, I liked it so much. It takes real scientific facts and theories and applies it to the Nessie lore, and the end result is a thrilling, head-scratcher that leaves you wanting more. Although this is more of a science-fiction novel than a horror, the scary elements were enough to land it on this list for me. There is a sequel called 'Vostok' which is an equally fun and terrifying read.


The Amityville Horror - Jay Anson

    This is the original haunted house novel. What makes this book scary isn't so much the plot, as it is the fact that it was based on a true story. Though there is debate on how much of the story is fabricated vs. real life accounts of the family, it is still that slow building, mortal terror that makes this a great book. Just don't read it at night if you live in an old, creepy house. Or do, if you want an extra thrill.

The Raven - Edgar Allan Poe


I know this is technically a poem and not a novel, but 'The Raven' makes my list due to it's classic status and the psychological terror it creates when reading it. Perfect for reading aloud by a campfire. The ambiance is perfect for a short, but spooky story.


Red Riding Hood - Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

    I picked this up on a whim a while back, and I haven't regretted it. They made a movie based on this one a few years ago, but the book is naturally a lot better. More of a mystery wrapped in a horror package, 'Red Riding Hood' takes the classic children's tale and ages it up for a grown up audience. It's a regular 'who done it' story with elements of romance, fantasy, and of course, horror.

The Hollower - Mary SanGiovanni

    I've known Mary as long as I've known Brian. I read 'The Hollower' a few months ago, and as the first novel by Mary I've ever read, I'm eager to dive more into her work. Psychological horror which jumps right at you from the first chapter, you never know what madness the creature will instill in its victims next, or how it will manifest itself. This is a great one if you like your mind to be utterly f-cked.

Feral: A Novel of Werewolf Horror - Matt Serafini



    If you like explicit gore and sex, then 'Feral' would be a great read for you. You've got your basic werewolf novel at first, but then things start to turn freaky really fast. There is no lack of detail in this one, so if you're squeamish, you might want to shelve this one. I actually said 'ew' out loud a few times when reading it.

Menagerie - Rachel Vincent

 


This book is classified as a fantasy rather than a horror novel. Indeed it does deal with magical creatures like oracles, werewolves, and nymphs, but the horror aspect of it comes from the world in which they are placed. It takes place in a time where magical beings are locked up and forced to perform in circuses, work in brothels, and generally be slaves to the humans that own them. It's a very triggering novel that deals with rape, torture, and worse, so if you're sensitive to these things, skip this one. 'Menagerie' is the first in a three book series, and if you start it, you'll definitely want to read them all.



No comments:

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs