Thursday, June 27, 2019

Google Search: How NOT to choose a title for your book, but check this out

What's in a name? When it's the title of your book, pretty much everything. While the right title doesn't guarantee the success of a book, it certainly doesn't hurt. Look at the Harry Potter series. The title is so important, the title of book 1 is actually different in the US because the publisher was afraid Americans wouldn't pick up a book with the word "Philosopher" in the title. So, while the book is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone pretty much everywhere, it's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in America. Would it have been successful with the original title in the US? We'll never know...

But it got me thinking about titles for today's post, which is my turn for a Google Search. Besides asking everyone you know for title suggestions, what if you take to the internet? So...I did.



Turns out...not very helpful. Many of the same results come up, even though certain phrases look like results will include use of keywords or plot points. I focused on the results that included romance titles - Heart Full of Stars anyone? - and while most of them are pretty generic, they might spark an idea or two? Even the ones where I input a few keywords were way too general. And, if I'm honest, a lot of them were downright bad.

So the title generators were a big a fat no from me. But what was a HUGE yes was Fantasy Name Generator. You guys, it has everything! Need a name for a Scottish hero? You'll get first and last name combinations here. How about a name for your fictional film studio? Lunarlight Entertainment could work.

There's even a swear word generator! Shoodlepoppers! Paltry parasite. Honestly, this seems like it could come in handy if you have a toddler at home and are trying to watch your language, as well. We're past that in my house, but I might go with the riddle generator.

What belongs to you, but others use it more than you do?

Any guesses?

Come on. Have a think.

(Your name!)

Which brings us back to what's in a name. (Like how I did that?) Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to finding the perfect book title. Lauren Layne, one of my favorite romance authors, schedules time in her day to brainstorm ten titles at a time. While ten feels like a lot to me, I also see the merit in it. because one idea sparks another and another. The title generators can even help with this, but the likelihood of finding your forever title here is slim. The name of your fictional library, however, using the above tool? Google's definitely got you covered.

1 comment:

Karissa Laurel said...

I am in the middle of trying to think up a title for my current WIP and I've never had this much trouble. I have used those name and plot and title generators before, too. Sometimes they're great. Sometimes... not so much.

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs