Monday, November 21, 2016

Rumpus Room Reads #1 - "Smart Women" by Judy Blume



Sometimes a book is so good that reading it becomes a part of your life cycle.  “Smart Women,” a quintessentially ‘80s Judy Blume novel about a couple of divorced mothers who moved to Boulder, CO to start over, is not really that kind of book.  It’s a pretty good book, not great.  While the back of my battered copy of the novel reads “May just be the most emotionally satisfying big bestseller of 1984 . . . compulsively readable . . . triggers both laughter and tears . . . you’ll be utterly captivated” (thanks, shoulder-padded ladies of “Working Woman”), reviews on goodreads.com include the phrases “mediocre at best . . . robotic, predictable, and blah!” “This book was not about any smart women, it was about stupid women and their stupid mistakes”  “all of them . . . were absolutely horrible people, who were incredibly miserable in their amoral, meaningless lives.”  Actually that last one sort of makes you want to read it, right?  “Smart Women” is no great classic, but it is worth reading, and somehow I have managed to find it at three touchstone moments in my life.  So I guess it has become a part of my life cycle after all.

I first found “Smart Women” as an unhappy newlywed in Fort Myers, Florida, a town best known as one of the centers of the housing bubble crashes of the mid-to-late aughts and as a frequent filming location of hit TV series “COPS.”  Fort Myers is where Ohioans and Michiganders go to die, for the sole reason that it’s directly down I-75 from the Midwest and there’s no snow to shovel.  It is strip malls and never-ending blistering hot summer sun.  It is not the place for a (too) young, educated couple to start a family.  But start a family we did, and I spent countless hours down there just circling the man-made lakes with their fountains (to keep the waters moving so the mosquitoes didn’t breed) in our apartment complex, watching the hideous Muscovy ducks make violent love to each other while pushing a stroller containing my first son.  He  was born two months before we moved there in diametrically opposite Seattle, Washington, where his conception had necessitated my dropping out of law school.   

I circled the apartments and watched “Cagney and Lacey” because we didn’t have cable and I circled my small collection of novels until we discovered the public library.  I can’t remember if my copy of “Smart Women” came from the Fort Myers public library, because they did have free old books there, or if it came from my grandma’s basement like a lot of the other books I want to talk about on this blog.  But I remember I read it for the first time in Florida, and I remember something in the novel pulled at the core of me.  Freshly crapped out of the Pacific Northwest into uncultured sun-blasted hell, I yearned for the kitschy quirky hippie mountain town described in the book.  The opening scene took place in one of the lead character’s patio Jacuzzi.  I could smell the crisp mountain air and cedar.  I also yearned for the 1980s, probably because of all that “Cagney and Lacey” I’d been watching.  But did I dare yet yearn for the freedoms and friendships enjoyed by these untethered women?

The second time I read “Smart Women” was in early 2015,  as my then ten-year-old marriage was coming to a crashing end.  I can’t remember if I read it before or after we decided to divorce, before or after I moved to my first post-marital home on the too-cheesily-named-for-a-writer-to-make-it-up Independence Street.  A lot has happened since then.  But I do remember that I found a whole new depth and dimension to the book as a woman herself on the brink of divorce.  I found it both hopeful and depressing, hopeful because by the end the women mostly find happiness and stability, but depressing because they all start out the story at levels of independence that I found hard to believe I would ever achieve.  They’d all been divorced for about five years at the start of the book, and had well established careers and personal lives.  I had been a stay at home mother since dropping out of law school, had only started making social contact with the outside world again in the previous year, and didn’t even know where to start with figuring out my career.  I related to the book, I so wanted to relate to it even more, but found it hard to believe I could ever really get to where Margo and B.B. and Clare were - “They cope with it all” says the back cover.  I was having trouble coping with anything.  And all those judgments of the characters I mentioned from the goodreads reviews before, calling them stupid and selfish, miserable and amoral?  I hadn’t read those reviews yet, but I certainly felt a lot of those judgments on myself.  

Now, picking “Smart Women” up again this month, after almost a year and a half of living on my own, I find it very encouraging that I can now more fully relate to the characters.  I’m in school and finally on a career path, have more confidence in my skills as a single parent and as the leader of a household, and have a much more established social network.  I’ve also stopped listening to those hateful voices of judgment, both interior and exterior.  I have confidence.  I am coping.  It’s not out of the realm of possibility to think that the next time I crack open this book I could be relaxing in my very own patio Jacuzzi.  Here’s hoping.  



20 comments:

  1. This is freaking fabulous. I don't want to read "Smart Woman" though. I want to read whatever book you decide to write one day. Thanks for your honesty and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) ! What's all the pathos and heartache of life for if not to make people laugh?

      Delete
  2. I'm a big Judy Blume fan but haven't read this one. Must remedy this immediately. And I agree with Kimberly. I can't wait to read your book one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is jessica, I was able to spy on my cheating ex phone without her finding out.....it really helped my lawyer during my divorce ...you can contact: hotcyberlord@gmail.com for spying and hacking phones,computer,email,Facebook and other social networks account,his services are cheap... His email address: hotcyberlord@gmail.com and please tell him Jessica referred you to him as he is a man with a heart of GOLD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello readers,

    This is for those who need help in hacking.
    PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM is the best hacker for hire. i have used them so many times and he never fails me he is the best hacker i have ever employed . They render services in hacking for various purpose such as *Cheating Spouse *University grades changing *Bank accounts hack *Twitters hack *email accounts hack *Grade Changes hack *Website crashed hack *server crashed hack *Retrieval of lost file/documents *Erase criminal records hack *Databases hack *Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds *Untraceable Ip *Individual computers hack *Websites hack *Facebook hack *Control devices remotely hack *Burner Numbers hack *Verified Paypal Accounts hack *Any social media account hack *Android & iPhone Hack *Word Press Blogs hack *Text message interception hack *email interception hack Contact : PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confront your cheating spouse with evidence, i was able to spy on my cheating ex phone without finding out.....it really helped me during my divorce ...you can contact cyberhackpros@gmail.com call and text +1 512 605 1256 for spying and hacking social networks, school servers, icloud and much more, viber chats hack, Facebook messages and yahoo messenger, calls log and spy call recording, monitoring SMS text messages remotely, cell phone GPS location tracking, spy on Whats app Messages, his services are AFFORDABLE

    ReplyDelete
  6. i strongly recommend cyberhackpros@gmail.com, last year he helped me spy on my husband when he was cheating of me, he served as a personal investigator to me by helping me spy on my husband's phone activities like facebook, email, whatsapp, calls, skype and others. am sure someone out there is looking for how to solve his relationship problems, contact him (cyberhackpros@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contact cyberhackpros@gmail.com if you suspect your spouse cheating on you and acting suspicious they helped me in hacking my husbands phone and all his social media accounts Facebook twitter and much more and i have gotten all the information that would help me in my divorce please contact them we women dont deserve a cheating husband simply send them an Email- cyberhackpros@gmail.com or call or text +1 512 605 1256 tell them Tracey referred you he would help out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sincerely didn’t like the idea, but this is my way of saying thank you to the Quora user that recommended a hacker ( PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM)

    I hired him for a very private and difficult matter of helping me hack a my spouse’s phone and social networks and some other personal stuffs and he far exceeded my expectations. which Jeremie, helped me get the info(whatsapp, facebook, text messages, call logs etc) faster and cheaper than I had imagined. The first time we spoke, we had a very long phone consultation in he gave me all my options that he could think of to resolve my case, and he even recommended I try other options before hiring him, which shows that he is honest. I decided to hire him and I am glad I did. he is a fantastic investigator and a great person. If you need a professional, reliable and efficient hacker, then you should contact this guy ; PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM
    You can also call him or send him a text: +1 908 693 9476

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are in need of a great hacker to help you spy at your spouse to know who he really is contact ethicalhacking618@gmail.com, he hacks into deleted record, improve credit score, spy on whats-app, text, phone, emails, as long as it's hack am 100% sure you will get results because he has also worked for me and i got results tell him i referred you to him contact: ETHICALHACKING618@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are in need of a great hacker to help you spy at your spouse to know who he really is contact ethicalhacking618@gmail.com, he hacks into deleted record, improve credit score, spy on whats-app, text, phone, emails, as long as it's hack am 100% sure you will get results because he has also worked for me and i got results tell him i referred you to him contact: ETHICALHACKING618@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Sarah Cambell, i was able to spy on my cheating ex-Husband phone without him finding out…..it really helped my lawyer during my divorce i have been scammed so many times but cyberhacklove is the best hacker i have met he helped me regain my freedom and lost money by scammers …you can contact cyberhacklove@gmail.com for spying and hacking phones,computer,email,Facebook and other social networks account,his services are cheap …cyberhacklove@gmail.com # +16066579237,please tell him Sarah referred you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Find out if your spouse is cheating. Hack any mobile phone remotely. Hack any website/database. Fix your credit score. Erase Records and lots more. Contact:- nullantrax2017-at-outlook-dot-com

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are in need of a great hacker to help you spy at your spouse to know who he really is contact
    cyberprofessionalhacker@gmail.com, he hacks into deleted record, improve credit score, spy on whats-app, text, phone,
    emails, as long as it's hack am 100% sure you will get resul
    ts because he has also worked for me and i got results tell him i referred you to him contact:
    CYBERPROFESSIONALHACKER@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete

  14. Do you need hackers for hire? Do you need to keep an eye on your spouse by gaining access to their emails? As a parent do you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks ( This includes facebook, twitter , instagram, whatsapp, WeChat and others to make sure they’re not getting into trouble? Whatever it is, Ranging from Bank Jobs, Flipping cash, Criminal records, DMV, Taxes, Name it,i can get the job done. accesshacking a professional hacker with 10 Years+ experience.Contact Accesshacking@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I strongly advice you hire a legitimate professional private investigator/hacker.
    You can contact ( PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM )for all your hack related activities….. I’ve been using him for a while now and he has never failed me, I was was having issues with some russian hustlers and gritlers this past week, they almost left me in ruins they got access to my credit card and bank details and i was been drained of my money until he came to my rescue, he helped gather evidence against them by hacking into there iCloud, WhatsApp, instagram and thier viber account. im still recovering from what they did to me but I thank him that I'm free from them.
    I suggest you contact him today if you re having any issues he will gladly help. He also does various kind of jobs like Tracking GPS location – Call Recordings – Call Logs Retrieval – Incoming calls restriction – Remotely accessing SMS –Genuine Software cracking --Game hacking and cracking --Keylogging – Remote device control – Calendar Monitoring – Remote email spying –Internet Usage Monitoring —Message retrievals: whatsapp message retrieval, iTunes message retrieval, Facebook message retrieval, instagram, snapchat message and story retrieval, etc– Intercepting Instant Messages: Whatsapp Spy, Viber Spy, Facebook Spy, Skype Spy, Hangouts Spy — Result/Grades modification; University, high school, professional schools, etc– Phone and PC bugging —Ambient Recording: Live listen and record voice surrounding phones – USSD Control commands…. PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM
    You can also call him or send him a text: +1 908 693 9476

    ReplyDelete
  16. Attention
    Here is a good news for those interested. There is away you can earn money without stress contact (MARTINS PEDRO) for a blank [ATM CARD]today and be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from this cards. This PROGRAMMED blank ATM card is capable of hacking into any ATM machine,anywhere in the world. I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $10,000 daily for a maximum of 30 days via {martinshackers22@gmail.com}.I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $140,000.00 MARTINS PEDRO Hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor and needy and he ALSO OFFER FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE. Get yours from MARTINS PEDRO Hackers today. Kindly contact him by Email martinshackers22@gmail.com....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was able to spy on my cheating ex-Husband phone without him finding out…..it really helped my lawyer during my divorce i have been scammed so many times but cyberhackpros is the best hacker i have met he helped me regain my freedom and lost money by scammers …you can contact cyberhackpros@gmail.com for spying and hacking phones,computer,email,Facebook and other social networks account,his services are cheap …CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM or call +1 512 605 1256,please tell him i referred you

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband use to be a big time cheat,and i was curious of getting proofs about it for real then i saw recommendations about this hacker ( PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM ) online and never hesitated to contact him,He asked me for some few information about my husband mobile device no personal info was asked for also,i provided it all to him and in less than 24 hours i was getting too see my husband text messages,Instagram ,facebook messages , viber ,iMessage ,call logs and as well as whatsapp messages as they come into her phone,i was able to get good and solid proof for my Antony to file a divorce,if you are having similar issues i would advice you contact PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM, just tell him I referred you for quick reply.
    You can also call him or send him a text: +1 908 693 9476

    ReplyDelete
  19. Confront your cheating spouse with evidence, i was able to spy on my cheating ex phone without finding out.....it really helped me during my divorce ...you can contact (HACKINTECHNOLOGY@GMAIL.COM) call and text+1 (669) 225-2253 for spying and hacking social networks, school servers, icloud and much more, viber chats hack, Facebook messages and yahoo messenger, calls log and spy call recording, monitoring SMS text messages remotely, cell phone GPS location tracking, spy on Whats app Messages, his services are AFFORDABLE .................................... ONLY GOD CAN THANK HIM FOR ME

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs