Thursday, January 1, 2015

New year, new deadlines

Happy 2015, y’all! It's KGG and I am typing this from my dining room. Right now, I'm sitting at a table made up of two Costco folding tables covered with Christmas-motif table cloths. One day, we'll get nice dining room furniture and then my husband will ban me from working in here. But for now, I'm sprawled out with my laptop, revision binders, highlighters, a beehive drink dispenser, and a glass vase of multi-colored ornaments. I can't wait to de-holiday my house. 

Holy, moly. Anyone feeling anxious? Like writerly anxious? Like, it’s the first day of the new year and I-have-all-these-things-to-write anxious?  

I guarantee a common thread on writer forums is something about goals and resolutions. In addition to wanting to lose a few pounds, writers resolve to get their butts in the chair to work faster, increase their daily word count, and get off the friggin’ internet (Okay, so these might be my goals).

My goals for 2015 are modest. I intend to finish my novella, a spin-off to Grunge Gods, and submit that to my publisher. I’d also like to finish the first book in a new YA paranormal mystery series. Maybe even write the second one as well. We’ll see how that goes. Even as I write this blog post, I’m being constantly interrupted by two adorable little boys. (Good thing my kids are cute but Mama has to work.) I know I can achieve these goals, but lately, I’ve been feeling like there just isn’t enough days in a year to do everything I want to do.

This year is also going to be the year I forge ahead with self-publishing. I’m very excited, albeit nervous, about these plans. For the last year, I had been considering various projects, tossing ideas in the air, wondering which one was attractive enough to land me a traditional publishing contract. Then I met the awesome indie authors on KBoards and after reading up on self-publishing, I decided I wanted to try this route. Because I want to write what I want to write. It's not going to be easy, but I'm determined to try. 

Also on my 2015 list -- maybe getting a proper writing space where no one will bug me. That space might just be the library.

Okay, that's enough about me. What about you? What are you plans for 2015? What are you writing and/or publishing this year?

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

All your goals are mine too. And I'm so excited about you self-publishing! I'll get an in-depth look at it all before doing it myself one day. In 2015 I hope to finish my middle grade novel, as for what to write next... not really sure!

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

You'll get it done. One word at a time.

Unknown said...

similar goals here, my main thing is I want to get back to the love of writing and not feel so utterly panicked to get that book deal, and stop worrying about things I can't control. Easier said than done!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Write write write are pretty much my goals, as expected ;)
Oh, and read a lot, too

Jill said...

"a proper writing space where no one will bug me" - I want one of those too! I vote for the library - it's my go-to workspace.

 
Blogger Template by Designer Blogs